Do you know how to play Mancala? This game has been around for thousands of years and is easy to learn. You can make your own game from an egg carton!
Southern AfricaTuesday connection video - Today we visit Southern Africa! We'll start with the continents AND oceans song, make sure we can find Africa on the globe and the oceans around it. What are the biomes are in Southern Africa? Let's see a piece of art, a song ("Siyahamba" - our much loved "We are marching" song we sung when walking to the park for recess), and a preview of today's read aloud (link below).
Activity - hand trimming grass!
Song: Siyahamba (In Zulu, English, and Spanish)
Song/dance: Bicycle Song (from South Africa) - see if you can learn the dance!
Today's Read-aloud: Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters
- Thursday connection video: We continue our exploration of Africa today with the desert of Northern Africa and a focus on Egypt.
- Video (National Geographic Kids) - Join two kids exploring the Nile river
- Video (Lonely Planet Travel Video) - Learn about the Berber people of Moroccan desert
- Song: "Go down, Moses" - a spiritual sung by Louis Armstrong
- Today's suggested read-aloud (From East Africa) - Waangari's Trees of Peace: A true story from Africa
Friday connection video: We conclude our week of exploring the continent of Africa with West Africa. Do you know all of the continents and oceans now? Interested in exploring more? Here are some follow-up videos:
West African folk tales:
Anansi and the Sky Kingdom (animated story)
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears (read aloud)
Find something to use as your own drum and dance and play along with this song
Video: Tropical forest animals